SOLAR TREATMENT OF WATER UNIT
Dr. Leónidas Pérez Estrada
Tel: 950387800 (ext. 826)
Water Solar Treatment
Plataforma Solar de Almería
Carretera de Senés, km 4
Tabernas, E-04200 Almería
Dr. Leónidas Perez-Estrada scientific career is focused on the research and application of various advanced oxidation processes (AOPs) for the treatment and reuse of industrial/municipal wastewater, the use of High Resolution Mass Spectrometry to characterize emerging contaminants and its degradation products, and the use of Metabolomics techniques to identified chemical/biological markers produced in different oxidation processes. He has participated in 4 EU projects (FP6, FP7) and 4 major R&D water reclamation projects with various Canadian Oil Sands Companies. He has published more than 40 papers in SCI journals and has more than 50 international communications.
In 2016 Dr. Perez-Estrada joined the Solar Water Treatment unit at PSA. Previously he was Assistant Professor in the Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering at the University of Alberta (Canada). He is author of 1 National Editorial book, author/co-author of more than 40 publications in international high impact journals and more than 50 communications to different International Congresses and Symposiums. He has supervised/co-supervised 7 master (M.Sc., and M.Eng.) and 3 PhD students. He has taught various undergrad and graduate courses at the University of Alberta (Canada) and Graduate Seminars at the University of Almeria (Spain). H-index: 24 (Nov. 2017).
SCI RECENT PUBLICATIONS:
- P. Soriano-Molina, J.L. García Sánchez, S. Malato, L.A. Pérez-Estrada, J.A. Sánchez Pérez (2018) Effect of volumetric rate of photon absorption on the kinetics of micropollutant removal by solar photo-Fenton with Fe3+-EDDS at neutral pH. Chemical Engineering Journal, 331, 84–92.
- Yuan Chen, Kerry N. McPhedran, Leonidas Perez-Estrada, Mohamed Gamal El-Din (2015) An Omic Approach for the Identification of Oil Sands Process-affected Water Compounds using Multivariate Statistical Analysis of Ultrahigh Resolution Mass Spectrometry Datasets. Science of the Total Environment, Vol. 511, pp. 230-237.
- Liang, Jiaming; Tumpa, Fahmida; Pérez-Estrada, Leonidas; Gamal El-Din, Mohamed; Liu, Yang (2014) Impact of Ozonation on Particle Aggregation in Mature Fine Tailings. Journal of Environmental Management, Vol. 146, pp. 535-542.
- Mahour, Reza; Muhammad F., Khan; Sara, Forbes; Pérez-Estrada, Leonidas (2014) Pesticides and Herbicides. Water Environment Research, Vol. 86, No. 10, pp. 1545-1578.
- Sun, Nian; Chelme-Ayala, Pamela; Klamerth, Nikolaus; McPhedran, Kerry; Islam, Md Shahinoor; Perez-Estrada, Leonidas; Drzewicz, Przemysław; Blunt, Brian; Reichert, Megan; Hagen, Mariel; Tierney, Keith; Belosevic, Miodrag; Gamal El-Din, Mohamed (2014) Advanced Analytical Mass Spectrometric Techniques and Bioassays to Characterize Untreated and Ozonated Oil Sands Process-Affected Water. Environmental Science & Technology, Vol. 48, Iss. 19, pp. 11090-11099.
- Lisa D. Brown, Leonidas Pérez-Estrada, Nan Wang, Mohamed Gamal El-Din, Jonathan W. Martin, Phillip M. Fedorak, Ania C. Ulrich. (2013) Indigenous Microbes Survive In-Situ Ozonation Improving Biodegradation of Dissolved Organic Matter in Aged Oil Sands Process-Affected Waters. Chemosphere, Vol. 93, pp. 2748 – 2755.
- Lu, W.B.; Ewanchuk, A.; Perez-Estrada, L.; Sego, D.; Ulrich, A. (2013) Limitation of fluorescence spectrophotometry in the measurement of naphthenic acids in oil sands process water. Journal of Environmental Science And Health Part A-Toxic/Hazardous Substances & Environmental Engineering, Vol. 48, Iss. 4, Pp. 429-436.
- Hwang, G.; Dong, T.; Islam, M.S.; Sheng, Z.Y.; Perez-Estrada, L.A.; Liu, Y.; El-Din, M.G. (2013) The impacts of ozonation on oil sands process-affected water biodegradability and biofilm formation characteristics in bioreactors. Bioresource Technology, Vol. 130, Pp. 269-277.
- Garcia-Garcia, E.; Pun, J.; Hodgkinson, J.; Perez-Estrada, L.A.; El-Din, M.G.; Smith, D.W.; Martin, J.W.; Belosevic, M. Commercial naphthenic acids and the organic fraction of oil sands process water induce different effects on pro-inflammatory gene expression and macrophage phagocytosis in mice. Journal of Applied Toxicology, Vol. 32, Iss. 12, Pp. 968-979.
- Afzal, A., P. Drzewicz, L.A. Pérez-Estrada, Y. Chen, J.W. Martin, and M. Gamal El-Din (2012) Effect of Molecular Structure on the Relative Reactivity of Naphthenic Acids in the UV/H2O2 Advanced Oxidation Process. Environmental Science & Technology, Vol. 46, Iss. 19, Pp. 10727-10734.
- He, Y., S.B. Wiseman, N. Wang, L.A. Perez-Estrada, M. Gamal El-Din, J.W. Martin, and J.P. Giesy (2012) Transcriptional Responses of the Brain-Gonad-Liver Axis of Fathead Minnows Exposed to Untreated and Ozone-Treated Oil Sands Process-Affected Water. Environmental Science & Technology, 46 (17), 9701-9708.
- Drzewicz, P., L. Perez-Estrada, A. Alpatova, J.W. Martin, and M. Gamal El-Din “Impact of Peroxydisulfate in the Presence of Zero Valent Iron on the Oxidation of Cyclohexanoic Acid and Naphthenic Acids from Oil Sands Process-Affected Water”, Environmental Science & Technology, 46(16), 8984-8991 (2012)
- Anderson, J. C.; Wiseman, S. B.; Wang, N.; Moustafa, A.; Perez-Estrada, L.; El-Din, M.; Martin, J.W.; Liber, K.; Giesy, J.P. (2012) Effectiveness of Ozonation Treatment in Eliminating Toxicity of Oil Sands Process-Affected Water to Chironomus dilutes. Environmental Science & Technology, Vol. 46, Iss. 1, pp. 486-493.