SOLAR TREATMENT OF WATER UNIT
The unit of Solar Treatment of Water (TSA in its Spanish acronym) was born in 2012, from the Environmental Applications of Solar Energy unit, as a consequence of the strategic plan of CIEMAT to encourage the research activities and applications of solar photochemistry carried out at Plataforma Solar de Almería. The main objective of this research is the use of solar energy for promoting photochemical processes in water at ambient temperature for treatment and purification applications. Research activities are focused on:
- Heterogeneous and homogeneous (photo-Fenton) photocatalysis
- Solar disinfection
- Other water advanced processes: ozone, UV/H2O2, electrooxidation, membranes, biotreatment.
The main objective of the Research Unit is to apply this research in:
- Phtocatalysts evaluation
- Industrial waste water treatment
- Microcontaminants elimination
- water Potabilization and disinfection
- Hydrogen production.
TSA unit collaborates in national and international projects, valorizing the research via different goals:
- Communication of results in international journal with high IF
- Formation of researchers by PhD Thesis.
- Transfer of results to private sector by studies of viability and research contracts.
- Dr. M. Ignacio Maldonado Rubio. Heterogeneous photocatalysis applied to industrial and urban (micro-contaminants) wastewater treatment
- Dr. Isabel Oller Alberola. Advanced treatment of industrial waste water (combination of biotreatment and advanced oxidation processes)
- Dr. Inmaculada Polo López. Water disinfection by solar homogeneous and heterogeneous photocatalysis.
- Dr. Pilar Fernández Ibáñez. Heterogeneous and homogeneous photocatalysis applied to water disinfection, solar disinfection and photoreactors developing.
- Dr. Sixto Malato Rodríguez. Treatment plants. Solar photoreactors. Water contamination and natural degradation processes.
TSA UNIT, at July 2014 is composed by 14 persons: 5 PhD, 6 PhD students and 3 technicians.
Sixto Malato Rodríguez: Premio Jaime I a la Protección del Medio Ambiente
La Aventura del Saber - TVE